** Original recipe inspiration from https://trtlmt.com.au/popcorn-chicken/
For the KFC spice mix
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper omit or use less if desired
- 2 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tbsp dried garlic
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tbsp sweet / mild paprika
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp KFC spice mix
- 3 tbsp Pure Unflavoured Whey Protein Isolate
- 1 whole egg
Protein or vegetable to coat for example
- 300 g Use tenderloins, breast, wings, fish pieces etc. this recipe is enough for 4 chicken tenderloins or 2 large breasts gently pounded to make them a little thinner and even.
- 6 tbs oil for frying ghee, refined coconut oil, light olive oil or lard
Loving this recipe?
- For more amazing low carb tips join our facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/LCHFThermoFoodies/
- And download a free getting started low carb meal plan here! https://www.thermofoodieandthechef.com/recipe/free-lchf-7-day-meal-plan/
- Check out our beautiful range of low carb / keto cookbooks here! Thermomix methods published and conventional methods also available to download! https://www.thermofoodieandthechef.com/shop/
For the spice mix
- Blend all spices together 20 seconds / speed 10 / mc on, or use a bullet blender or processor and process until the mixture resembles a fine powder
- Scrape down and repeat
- Move to a jar, store for up to 6 months in the pantry
To coat and fry
- Combine 1 tablespoon KFC Spice mix from the jar to 3 tablespoons whey protein powder and mix together well in a bowl
- Gently whisk the egg in a separate bowl
- Cut chicken into strips, leave whole, cut into nugget size or smaller for kid friendly bite sized pieces. You can also use mince.
- Dip chicken in egg wash then dip in spice mix to coat on each side
- Shallow fry until golden and cooked on medium/high heat using ghee, lard or light and mild olive oil. If you find the crumb sticks to the pan, add more oil and more heat
*if you want a milder flavour, use 1/2 tablespoon spice mix to 3 tablespoons whey protein powder
* add chipotle powder, cayenne pepper or chilli powder to make this hot n spicy!
The best part of this recipe is you can keep this spice mix in the jar, just add the protein powder when you're ready to use it for a quick weeknight meal - double the spice mix too if you want a larger stash!
- If you don't have unflavoured whey protein powder you can use crushed pork rinds or almond meal.
Voula's KFC nuggets3 chicken breasts Salt Pepper 1 heaped tsp bicarbonate soda 1 heaped tablespoon on psyllium husks Cut your chicken breast into pieces and place in thermomix speed 8 for 10 seconds (I did this in 3 seperate batches to not overcrowd the thermomix) Add salt, pepper, bicarb soda, and psyllium husk (used this as a binder as I had no egg, alternatively use 1 egg if you need to) Mix it all together (it’s going to be sticky but that’s ok ?) Wrap and put in the fridge for an hour Wet your hands and roll into shape Once everything is roller place onto a tray and pop into the freezer for 25 to 30 minutes.. you need to do this so they don’t fall apart) You can dip in egg and the KfC seasoning, or iff egg free just dip into spice mix and fry on a low heat until cooked through This made just under 40 nuggets
For more recipe inspiration and a like minded supportive community, join our FACEBOOK GROUP
You can also check out our COOKBOOKS here.