** Original recipe inspiration from https://trtlmt.com.au/popcorn-chicken/
For the KFC spice mix
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper omit or use less if desired
- 2 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tbsp dried garlic
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tbsp sweet / mild paprika
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp KFC spice mix
- 3 tbsp Pure Unflavoured Whey Protein Isolate
- 1 whole egg
Protein or vegetable to coat for example
- Use tenderloins, breast, wings, fish pieces etc. this recipe is enough for 4 chicken tenderloins or 2 large breasts gently pounded to make them a little thinner and even.
- Blend all spices together 20 seconds / speed 10 / mc on, or use a bullet blender or processor and process until the mixture resembles a fine powder
- Scrape down and repeat
- Move to a jar
- Combine 1 tablespoon KFC Spice mix from the jar to 3 tablespoons whey protein powder and mix together well in a bowl
- Gently whisk the egg in a separate bowl
- Cut chicken into strips, leave whole, cut into nugget size or smaller for kid friendly bite sized pieces
- Dip chicken in egg wash then coat on each side into the spice mix
- Shallow fry until golden and cooked on medium/high heat using ghee, lard or light and mild olive oil
*if your kids want a milder flavour, use 1/2 tablespoon spice mix to 3 tablespoons whey protein powder
* add chipotle powder, cayenne pepper or chilli powder to make this hot n spicy!
The best part of this recipe is you can keep this spice mix in the jar, just add the protein powder when you're ready to use it for a quick weeknight meal - double the spice mix too if you want a larger stash!
- If you don't have unflavoured whey protein powder you can use crushed pork rinds or almond meal.
For more recipe inspiration and a like minded supportive community, join our FACEBOOK GROUP
You can also check out our COOKBOOKS here.